<< Home


March 15, 1940 - December 18, 2016

Terry was born on March 15, 1940 in Van Nuys, California to Irl and Noma Halliday. Irl's employment with the Guy F. Atkinson construction company meant several moves during Terry's childhood. He and his family lived in Van Nuys; Sherman and Denison, Texas; Yakima, WA; Irvington, CA; Alma, NE; Umatilla and Estacada, OR where Terry graduated from high school in 1958.

In August of that year he joined the U.S. Air Force. He went to Lackland AFB, in Texas for basic training and two months later was sent to Keesler AFB in Mississippi for nine months of specialized training as a computer repair technician. In 1960 Terry was assigned to an Air Force base at King Salmon, Alaska for one year. King Salmon was a continental defense radar station constructed to provide the United States Air Force early warning of an attack by the Soviet Union. A year later, Terry was sent across the United States to Fort Hancock, a secret Nike missile base near Sandy Hook, New Jersey.

On August 4, 1962 after serving four years in the US Air Force, Terry was discharged in New Jersey and drove cross country to San Francisco in his first car--a 1955 Ford Fairlane.

Terry soon took advantage of his GI Bill of Rights to attend San Jose State University. During this time, he met Theresa Zappone and on Feb. 5, 1966 they were married. After his graduation from San Jose State College Terry was employed as a computer maintenance technician at the Stanford Linear Accelerator Center (SLAC ), part of the U.S. Dept of Energy's National Laboratory at Stanford University in Menlo Park, CA. Theresa was a teacher in one of the local school districts.

Terry and Theresa lived in the Palo Alto area and on January 25, 1971 their daughter, Stephanie Alyson was born. After his marriage, Terry decided to attend Santa Clara University Law School. After graduation, he became a partner in a law office in San Jose. Both during law school and after joining the law practice, Terry continued to work at the Stanford Linear Accelerator Center at Stanford University.

Quite early in their marriage, Theresa was diagnosed with multiple sclerosis. Ultimately this required her to give up her teaching career and left her increasingly disabled. Sometime before 1984, Terry and Theresa were divorced. Theresa's health continued to decline and she passed away on Jan. 29, 2000.

On Feb. 14, 1984 Terry and Gloria Dougherty were married in San Jose, California. Terry was later employed by Hewlett-Packard at several sites: the San Jose California area, Boise, Idaho and Corvallis, Oregon. After his retirement, Terry and Gloria continued to live in Albany, OR and Terry taught classes at Linn-Benton Community College. On April 23, 2008 Gloria passed away at their home in Albany, OR. Terry remained in Albany after Gloria's death, and in the ensuing years his health declined. His stepdaughter, Stacey, provided great assistance to him at this time. Terry spent his last year at medical facilities in the Albany and Corvallis area. In early December, 2016 he suffered a severe fall which resulted in an inoperable hematoma. Terry was placed on hospice and passed away at 10:45 a.m. on December 18.

Terry is survived by his daughter, Stephanie Lamoureux, granddaughters Adriana and Nicole, several stepchildren, and brother, Glenn Halliday. As he wished, Terry is being interred at Willamette National Cemetery, in Portland, Oregon where his brother, Leslie, is also at rest.

Terry's family and friends share many good memories of him and he is greatly missed.

--By Barbara Halliday

NOTE: On June 23, 2017 we held a memorial for Terry at Willamette National Cemetery in Portland, Oregon. Members of the Portland Air National Guard Base Honor Guard provided Terry with a military funeral with honors, including folding and presenting the United States burial flag, providing a gun volley salute and the playing of Taps.  See  Photo Album: Terry Halliday Military Memorial, June 23, 2017

<< Home