Return to:




1. Where did the Hallidays come from?
Probably the southern "border country" of Scotland, but I have not been able to trace them back that far. I know they were in Indiana by the time of the Civil War.

2. Samuel B. Halliday
Samuel B. Halliday was born in Clinton County, Indiana and volunteered for duty in the Union Army during the Civil War. Not once, but TWICE! Samuel lost his first wife, and his son by that marriage, Andrew Halliday, was raised by relatives.

3. Andrew Halliday and Mary Hinst
When he was grown, Andrew studied to be a teacher, and then immigrated to western Idaho where he taught in small one-room schools near Troy, Idaho (just east of Moscow, Idaho). He fell in love with one of his students, Mary Hinst, and they eloped. Apparently there were some hard feelings between Mary's parents and Andrew until their first baby arrived--the grandparents' hearts soon melted at the sight of their grandchild and they remained close to Mary and Andrew for the rest of their lives.

Mary Hinst's mother and father were both from northern Germany. Her father, Frederick Hinst was from Kiel, Germany. When Frederick was about 15 years old, he left home and worked as a sailor on ships. The California Gold Rush of 1849 attracted him to the San Francisco area. In San Francisco, Frederick met a young woman, Magdalena Goettsch and her brothers and her cousin. They were from the small village of Schoenberg, just a few miles south of Kiel. Mary's brothers and cousin went on to be miners in Idaho. Frederick and Magdalena married in San Francisco, and lived for several years in northwest California, west of Yreka, in Scott Valley. Frederick worked on the many railroads being built all over the West. The family followed the railroad work in their covered wagon, eventually reaching the Troy, Idaho area where they settled.

Andrew farmed, and continued to teach school. Later, when his children were big enough to help, he had a huge threshing outfit that traveled around the area, harvesting wheat and other crops for the local farmers. The sons helped with the threshing, and the daughters spent all day in a hot cook wagon, preparing meals for the hard-working threshing crew.

When his family was almost grown, they moved from Troy to Kennewick, WA which had a much better climate. Andrew worked at the Church grape juice plant in Kennewick, and he and Mary also ran a combination gas station and root beer stand. Needless to say, their grandsons, Glenn, Roger and Leslie LOVED to visit Grampa Andrew and get a big glass of root beer, compliments of the house!

4. Irl Andrew Halliday and Noma Flo Terril.
Irl went to high school in Kennewick, Washington and there he met Noma Terril. Noma's father was a beekeeper, who came out from Ohio and settled in Kennewick. Irl had rheumatic fever while in high school and missed several years of school while recuperating. After high school, Noma went to business college in Spokane, WA and later worked as a medical secretary there. She earned enough money to attend Willamette University in Salem, Oregon. Irl also enrolled at Willamette about the same time as Noma. They had two years at Willamette, and then married in 1926.

Irl started a small trucking business, hauling produce from the Kennewick area to Yakima, WA. The Great Depression hit Irl and Noma very hard, causing him to lose his business. I believe he started a couple other enterprises and did some farming, but all were destroyed by the Depression.

He was offered a job with the Guy F. Atkinson Company, a heavy construction company. At Willamette University, Irl had been a fraternity brother of Guy Atkinson's son, George. Irl's first assignment with Atkinson Co. was working on the construction of Coulee Dam. After that, Irl and Noma and their first three sons started moving from one big construction project to another.

Irl's job took them to: Grand Coulee Washington, the San Fernando Valley in southern California, northern Texas, and during World War II, Irl and his son, Glenn (15 years old) worked on the top-secret "Hanford Project" where the fuel for the first atomic bomb was made. After that, Irl worked for Atkinson in the Bay Area, Nebraska, Oregon, southern and northern California, and Canada. He also worked in the main office in South San Francisco before his final assignment on the Mangla Dam project on the Indus River in northern Pakistan. The sons seldom got to spend more than one year in a school. Terry was the fourth child, born 12+ years after their oldest child, Glenn. A fifth son, Russell Edward, died in infancy-he was a "blue baby" and only lived a couple months.

Irl's last assignment with Atkinson was very different-because of his background in farming, he was asked to go to Pakistan and develop a farm that could supply the company's employees with fresh vegetables and poultry. The Mangla Dam project site, on the Indus River, was in a very remote area of northern Pakistan and the project needed to be as self-sustainable as possible. He did a great job-being the first person to succeed in growing chickens in the desert heat of northern Pakistan. The other Atkinson employees always remembered him gratefully for giving them nice fresh veggies and chicken!

When Irl and Noma returned from Pakistan, Irl retired and they sold their South San Francisco home. They bought a home in Redding, California and Irl enjoyed several years of fishing and outdoor sports. Noma continued working-as the Methodist Church secretary, as she had done in South San Francisco. They celebrated their 50th wedding anniversary in Redding on July 26, 1976 with all of their sons and daughters'-in-law in attendance and most of their grandchildren with them as well.

As they grew older, Noma and Irl had health problems. Irl suffered with arthritis and bad knees, but the worst calamity was the paralyzing stroke which hit Noma in 1984. She never walked again, and spent the rest of her life in nursing homes. But, they both had long and interesting lives to look back on. Irl passed away in Woodburn, Oregon in 1987. Noma died in Keizer, Oregon in 1994.


----------- Barbara Halliday, Nov. 28, 2005

Unless otherwise noted, text and photos are the property of Glenn and Barbara Halliday, © 2005